Valentines Day - the 14th February, is considered among many countries the day of love for lovers. Lovebirds around the world enjoy it by sending gifts, presents, flowers and cards as proof of their love, then usually finishing off the day with a romantic meal for two.
For Valentines Day, TV5MONDE is offering a delicious menu for two to enjoy with your loved one and to tantalise his / her taste buds:
The starter : Salad with crystallised ginger and orange
To start off in style, we suggest a recipe based on candied ginger, known for its aphrodisiac properties, which will bring a sensual touch to your table.
- 4 oranges
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50g of crystallised ginger
- 50g of pistaschios
- Some mint leaves
- 6 dates
- 2 granny smith apples
- Squeeze two oranges into a bowl and add the lemon juice and the orange blossom water.
- Peel the other oranges by removing all the white parts, then cut them into small pieces
- Add the apples and the chopped dates
- Sprinkle with sugar. Cut the candied ginger into thin julienne and coarsely chop the pistachios
- Sprinkle the salad with the prepared juice, add the julienne of candied ginger and the chopped pistachios
- Decorate with mint leaves and serve
The Main: Honey spiced chicken
This sweet and spicy easy recipe follows the starter perfectly
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 20g of butter
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp of honey
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the onion and chicken breasts into small pieces
- Fry chicken in butter over low heat for a few minutes
- Add oil, onion, salt and pepper, then add garlic and cinnamon
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Add a large glass of water in and dilute a teaspoon of honey
- Let the pan simmer for 10-15 minutes and add the remaining soy sauce and honey, remove from heat and adjust the seasoning if necessary
- Serve your chicken with rice, fried potatoes or broccoli
Dessert: Raspberry tart
And to end your dinner on a sweet note, nothing like a delicious raspberry tart to melt your other halfs heart
- 300g raspberries
- Shortcrust pastry (ready rolled)
- 20g icing sugar
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
- 75g of sugar
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar
- 30g of flour
- 500ml milk
- Unwrap the shortcrust pastry from its packaging and place in a pie tin and bake blind for 20 minutes at 180 ° C. Set aside to cool
- Beat the eggs and the sugar. Gradually add flour and warm milk. Put the mixture in a saucepan over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the cream becomes thick.
- Add the vanilla sugar packet and remove from the heat.
- Pour the cream into the pie shell as soon as it has cooled down and arrange the raspberries in a circle.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Bon appétit !
Agnès Varda, widow of Jacques Demy, is considered as one of the greatest french filmmakers of all time. In february, Jerusalem Cinematheque pays her tribute with special screenings of her iconic artwork (more info here).
In April, TV5MONDE will offer a special retrospective of 3 movies by Agnès Varda - watch this space!