Everyone loves a BBQ and everyone has their favourite ways to cook their burgers and sausages, so for August we've put together some French / Mediterranean inspired BBQ recipes with a difference! Enjoy this meat-free yet extremely tasty collection of recipes that will bring a certain je ne sais quoi to your average BBQ this summer.
Monkfish skewers with herbes de Provence
- 400g Monkfish fillets
- 1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 60ml olive oil
- 60ml white wine
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 1 red / green / yellow pepper (as preferred)
- 1 green / yellow courgette (as preferred)
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 lemons, one halved and sliced, the other cut into wedges
- Wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for a couple of hours
- Makes eight skewers
- Soak your wooden skewers in bowl of cold water so that they are fully submerged and leave them to soak for at least a couple of hours.
- Cut the monkfish fillets into cubes and set aside.
- Chop your pepper into bite size pieces
- Cut your courgette in half lengthways then slice each half into small chunks
- Chop the red onion into bite size slices
- Mix together the Herbes de Provence, minced garlic, olive oil and white wine in a bowl. Add the cubed monkfish and the chopped veggies to the bowl and toss, thoroughly covering everything with the mix and leave to chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Season the fish with freshly ground salt and black pepper to taste.
- Take a skewer and add a cube of monkfish, then pepper, then courgette, then onion then a slice of lemon and repeat to fill the skewers. Use less onion to taste.
- Add to BBQ and turn frequently whilst barbecuing, until the fish is just opaque.
- Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon for dressing.
Halloumi Burger with Guacamole
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 x halloumi cheese slices, 2cm thick
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 burger buns
- Handful of mint leaves, chopped
- Pomegranate molasses, to drizzle
- 2 large ripe tomatoes sliced
- Bunch of rocket
- First prepare the spice mix - put the cayenne, smoked paprika and cumin in a bowl and mix well.
- The the guacamole - halve the avocados, remove the stones and scoop out with a spoon, mash with a fork and pour in the lime juice, mix and set aside, add salt to taste
- Put the halloumi slices on a plate and drizzle oil on both sides. Sprinkle the spice mix all over the cheese then put on the BBQ and cook for a couple minutes on one side until you have some lovely golden grill marks. Flip and repeat.
- At the same time toast your burger buns on the BBQ if you like them crispy!
- Spoon the avocado onto the four bun bases, then the chopped mint onto the avocado, then place the halloumi steaks on top.
- Drizzle the pomegranate molasses onto the halloumi then finish with the tomato slices and rocket.
- Makes four burgers (if you can't find pomegranate molasses then add a tiny bit of sugar to balsamic vinegar, let dissolve and thicken then use as a subsitute!
Side dish no. 1 - Tabouleh
- 90g dried bulghur wheat
- 200ml water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 20 whole mint leaves
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small red onion or 3-4 spring onions
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the bulghur wheat in a medium-sized bowl and pour in 200ml of boiling water and add the 1/2 tsp salt. Leave this to sit for 30 mins or according to packet instructions and stir occasionally, until all the water is absorbed.
- Dice the tomatoes as finely as you can. Add them to the bulghur wheat (after 30 mins has passed) juice and all. This will add more liquid, but the bulghur will absorb it.
- Chop the mint & parsley leaves finely and add them to the bowl.
- Dice the onion finely and add to the bowl.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze gently through your fingers so you catch the pips (alternatively use a sieve).
- Add the olive oil and stir. Grind in some black pepper.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt if necessary.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Serves 4.
Side dish no. 2 - Potato Salad with Dijon mustard
- 750g baby / new potatoes
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 medium gherkins
- ¼ small red onion or 2 x spring onions
- A couple of sprigs of dill
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil
- Chop your potatoes into halves or quarters depending on size
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer the potatoes covered for 10-15 minutes, or until they are tender when you pierce them with a fork or knife and they slip off easily
- Drain the potatoes in a sieve for a few minutes until dry
- Add the potatoes to a bowl and place the bowl in the fridge and leave until the potatoes are cold
- Meanwhile thinly slice your gherkins and onion and set aside
- Take the potato bowl out from the fridge and fold in the mustard and mayonnaise and mix in the gherkins and onions
- Season to taste with salt
- Garnish with the dill
- Serves 4 as a side dish