TV5MONDE offers you a gastronomic tour of the French-speaking world, with delicious recipes from all around the world, to celebrate Semaine de la langue française et de la francophonie (March 17th - 25th 2018)..
CANADA : Poutine
Poutine is the famous Canadian side dish (or main) made up of three main ingredients: french fries, cheddar cheese and brown sauce.
50g barbecue sauce
30g grated cheddar cheese or finely chopped chunks
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into french fries
- Fry the potatoes at 160-170° C for 8 min and then 180-190° C for 2 min. Heat the barbecue sauce in a saucepan over low heat for 2 min.
- Drain the chips and put them in a bowl, add the cheese and pour over the hot barbecue sauce. Serve!
FRANCE : Boeuf bourguignon
Bœuf bourguignon is a traditional recipe in French cuisine, or more precisely Burgundy cuisine, cooked with red wine from Burgundy, often accompanied by potatoes, green beans or pasta ...
300ml red wine
2 tbsp flour
1 bouquet garni (laurel, thyme ...)
250g of button mushrooms
salt & pepper
- In a casserole dish, heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Chop the meat into cubes and let it brown for a few minutes, without stirring,
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and sliced carrots. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat
- Stir in the flour, keep stirring then add the red wine. Add water if you need to - to cover everything
- Add the bouquet garni then close the casserole with the lid and let simmer 2-3hrs on a medium heat
- Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the casserole. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
BELGIUM: Speculoos biscuits
Direct from Belgium, the speculoos or speculaas biscuit has become one of the most exported biscuits in the world.
500g plain flour
100g of ground almonds
250g of butter
380g brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of mixed spices(cloves, nutmeg, ginger, anise)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients until you get a smooth dough and let stand in a dry place until the next day
- Roll out the dough thinly and cut out shapes and place on a baking sheet
- Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes at 180° C
SWITZERLAND : Carrot cake
The carrot cake is a Swiss specialty from the Canton of Argovie, a local legend tells that this cake is prepared with carrots to attract the Easter Bunny, so that he'll bring a lot of chocolate eggs!
300g ground almonds
200g of sugar
The zest and juice of half a lemon
A teaspoon of baking powder
A pinch of salt
10g of butter
Ingredients for the topping (optional)
150g icing sugar
- Peel and grate the carrots, add the zest and lemon juice
- beat the sugar and egg yolks together gradually until pale then add the lemon juice, zest, grated carrots, flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder
- Beat the egg whites till they are stiff and form peaks and fold them in gently to the cake mix
- Pour the mix into a greased cake tin and cook for 40 to 50 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 ° C. Let cool and remove from the tin
- For the icing topping: mix together 1 egg white, 150g icing sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Spread the mixture on your cake and let it dry at room temperature. Enjoy!
MOROCCO : Harira soup
Harira is THE soup par excellence consumed throughout the year in Morocco and especially during the winter, it is usually served hot with dates, boiled eggs, honey cakes, pastries and other delights .
250g chickpeas from tin or soaked overnight
100g of lentils
50g of flour
100g of vermicelli noodles
1 tablespoon salted butter
1 bunch of coriander
1 bunch of parsley
1 celery stick
150g of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of ginger
1 cube of chicken stock
Salt & black pepper
a pinch of saffron
- Chop the onion, coriander, parsley, and celery and add in the tomatoes you have mixed
- In a casserole dish, dice the lamb and brown the meat then add in the mix above and let simmer a few minutes
- Add salt, pepper, ginger and the saffron plus the stock cube
- Stir in the chickpeas.
- Add 2 litres of water, put the lid on the pan and cook for 30 minutes over a low heat
- Add the lentils and cook covered for 20 minutes
- In a bowl, mix the flour and the tomato paste with 500ml of water.
- Pour it into the soup mix while stirring for 10min
- Add the vermicelli and cook for another 15 minutes uncovered stirring.
- Enjoy the hot soup with dried figs and dates.
Bon appétit !
Take a look at our special Semaine de la Francophonie programming here
TV5MONDE no longer on Virgin Media from 18/1/19
FAO UK and Ireland Virgin Media viewers. As of Fri 18th Jan TV5MONDE will no longer be available on Virgin. Viewers can watch TV5MONDE for FREE, in HD, online via our website here http://europe.tv5monde.com/en/live. EN or FR subtitles available, watch via Smart TV / PC / tablet / smartphone. TV5MONDE - For the love of culture, in French.