In Brittany, a region of western France, the galette is an ancestral culinary tradition. According to legend, it was born of the clumsiness of a Breton farmer, who spilled buckwheat (black wheat) on a burning stone in his chimney. In Brittany or elsewhere, it is filled with ham, grated cheese and eggs, and accompanied by a small bowl of sweet or dry cider.
Ingredients (for 6 pancakes)
For the pancake
- 100g of buckwheat flour
- 30g of wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp of fine salt
- 1/2 tbsp of oil
- 250ml of water
For the filling
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices of ham
- 100g of grated cheese (gruyere or other simlar)
For the pancake batter
- Mix the two flours together with the oil, the egg and then the salt, then add in the water bit by bit. The batter should be smooth and runny.
- Leave to rest for one hour
Filling for each pancake
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and grease it with a bit of butter or oil
- When the pan is hot pour a ladelful of the pancake batter into the frying pan ensuring the mixture spreads evenly around the pan
- When cooked flip it over and crack an egg on top
- Add a slice of ham and around 15-20g of grated gruyère
- When the egg is cooked fold the sides of the pancake up and bring them towards the centre (see photo above)
- Season with salt & pepper
- Repeat the steps to make five more pancakes!
Bon appétit !
[DENMARK] TV5MONDE has launched on YouSee's IPTV offer
Great news for Danish viewers: TV5MONDE is now available in the Flexible package and "À la carte" of the IPTV offer. If you're a YouSee's subscriber, you can now watch award-winning movies and French lifestyle mags - all subtitled in English.
The channel is also available on YouSee's cable offer ("À la carte" and Flex package).