Candlemas / La Chandeleur has it's origins as a religious holiday. It is celebrated on 2nd February each year. Candlemas comes from the word "chandelles / candle", hence the name "Festivals of Light". The French celebrate Candlemas with sweet crepes accompanied by delicious fillings according to tastes.
TV5MONDE offers you a quick and easy pancake recipe:
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 500ml of milk
- 250g of plain flour
- 50g of butter
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar (optional)
- 20g of icing sugar
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together with the pinch of salt, vanilla sugar and flour, gradually adding the milk.
- Let the resulting mixture stand for one hour.
- Heat a frying pan over low heat.
- Drop a knob of butter to grease the pan.
- Pour half a ladle of your pancake batter and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Decorate your pancakes with fruit and chocolate and sprinkle with icing sugar. (optional)
Your pancakes are ready! Enjoy!
Discover more recipes to enjoy here