Candlemas / La Chandeleur has it's origins as a religious holiday. It is celebrated on 2nd February each year. Candlemas comes from the word "chandelles / candle", hence the name "Festivals of Light". The French celebrate Candlemas with sweet crepes accompanied by delicious fillings according to tastes.
TV5MONDE offers you a quick and easy pancake recipe:
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 500ml of milk
- 250g of plain flour
- 50g of butter
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar (optional)
- 20g of icing sugar
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together with the pinch of salt, vanilla sugar and flour, gradually adding the milk.
- Let the resulting mixture stand for one hour.
- Heat a frying pan over low heat.
- Drop a knob of butter to grease the pan.
- Pour half a ladle of your pancake batter and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Decorate your pancakes with fruit and chocolate and sprinkle with icing sugar. (optional)
Your pancakes are ready! Enjoy!
Discover more recipes to enjoy here
TV5MONDE no longer on Virgin Media from 18/1/19
FAO UK and Ireland Virgin Media viewers. As of Fri 18th Jan TV5MONDE will no longer be available on Virgin. Viewers can watch TV5MONDE for FREE, in HD, online via our website here http://europe.tv5monde.com/en/live. EN or FR subtitles available, watch via Smart TV / PC / tablet / smartphone. TV5MONDE - For the love of culture, in French.