- The International Francophonie Day is celebrated everywhere in the world every year on March 20th since 1988
- The International Organization of “La Francophonie” (OIF) includes 77 member countries
- TV5MONDE is one of the main members in the OIF
- In order to be a member of the OIF, it is not mandatory for the French language to be mainly spoken but it should be used in an appropriate proportion
- There are 274 millions Francophones or French speakers worldwide
- The objective of the OIF is not only to promote the French language, but also to promote democracy; Human Rights; cultural dialogue; education; a friendly environment, etc
- On that special day, the Francophonie is celebrated through all kinds of games and activities involving French language competitions, movies, gastronomy events, artistic exhibitions, debates, …
- Michaëlle Jean is now the secretary general of the OIF. She was born in Haïti, raised in Canada and is fluent in 5 languages (French, English, Italian, Spanish, Creole, and can read Portuguese).
- This year, the focus is placed on the theme of the planet and environment, as the “Paris Climat 2015” conference is held in France
For this occasion, TV5MONDE has planned everything for you to celebrate this event with us! So don’t miss the special programmes that will start from March 14th on your favourite channel:
- Dites-le franco(phone): a special program recorded in Paris Hôtel de Ville, with Anne Hidalgo (Paris Mayor), Michaëlle Jean (secretary general of the OIF) et Annie Girardin (secretary of state for the francophony).
- Destination Francophonie
- Questions pour un champion : Special Francophonie Day
- La cérémonie des Jutras
- Internationales with Michaëlle Jean
- Goût de France / Good France (with many chefs around the world taking part in the “Dîner à la Francaise”. You can watch the TV5MONDE short programmes until March 19th
To check the events organized in your country, check the Francophonie website. http://www.francophonie.org/Welcome-to-the-International.html
To learn more about the OIF, check the Francophonie official website http://www.francophonie.org/Welcome-to-the-International.html
So what are you planning to do? Let us know and leave us your comments! Merci!
"The ability to laugh out loud is proof of an excellent soul" (Jean Cocteau)
The 3rd edition of the "Oh là là" Comedy Festival produced by Eden Cinema will take place from 16th November to 5th December in art-house cinemas in Tel-Aviv, Jerusalem, Haifa, Sderot, Roch Pina, Globus Ashdod, Beit a Tarbut Savyion , Yad Lebanim Raanana, at the Cinema Kochav of Ramat Asharon and throughout the Yes Planet network.
Watch the trailer here
The 25th French Film Festival UK offers a rich programme of films to enjoy, involving leading independent cinemas around the country from Glasgow and Edinburgh to London, from Inverness to Dundee and Belfast, from Warwick and Leicester to Chichester and Bristol, plus many more places in between watch the crème de la crème of contemporary and classic French-speaking cinema from 2 Nov to 17 Dec 2017. See what's on where here